Tuesday, 10 September 2013

#8 - The Line

Greetings Beautiful People

I have to say TWW has become quite a blessing. Not only does it challenge me to look for good stuff to share but it also brings the ideas I share home to me again. Reminds me of a line I wrote:

"Peace to the paradox the lessons never end, so I learn ‘em and forget ‘em just to get ‘em yet again."

Anyway, it’s helped me realise I’m a writer and without a reader a writer doesn’t exist, so thank you very much.

Hope you enjoy.



1) QOTW
"Courage is the art of being the only one that knows you are scared to death."
Harold Wilson


"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear – not absence of fear."
Mark Twain



2) Story – The Line of Fear
It’s a crisp spring afternoon. I’m at Coombe Abbey in Coventry with 10 other people for a walk with one of my heroes, Geoff Thompson (www.geoffthompson.com). After a brief introduction Geoff takes a stick and draws a horizontal line in the brown earth below. We all look down.

"That line is fear…" he says. "Everything you want, is on the other side of that line."


You could hear a pin drop on the moon. Over the next few hours Geoff shares many pearls with us but this is the line that stood out most to me and it’s the one that came back to me today.

That was three years ago and when I look at my life in the interim I have to concede that I’ve grown to the exact degree that I’ve been prepared to cross that line. In some areas I’ve edged a toe over, in others I’ve erased the line altogether. Still, in some areas I haven’t even approached the damn line, and those are the areas where I feel most stuck.

There are so many things I wanted to do but procrastinated on for ages due to fear. Ironically these things once faced have led to some of the most fulfilling experiences I’ve ever had. Boxing, performing live, travelling alone and now sharing my writing/ideas are just a few boogie men I could name.

I think the phantoms may change but that line will always exist because crossing it is how we grow.

What’s on the other side of your line(s)?

NB "The Line of Fear" is one of Geoff Thompson’s concepts - I highly recommend his work.

3) Songs
Zero 7 - In the Waiting Line: 



Outlines feat RZA Now That I’m Free: 



If anyone has any inspiring/funny/interesting vidoes or good music I could feature or maybe write around please let me know.


Have a good week.

Dx

No comments:

Post a Comment