Tuesday, 23 September 2014

#97 - 5 Minutes a Day To Change Your Life

When I was playing basketball as a teenager I used visualisation a lot. I knew Michael Jordan spent 30 minutes before the teams came out to warm-up visualising what he would do in games so I started doing this to give myself an edge playing against those who were naturally bigger and stronger. 

It definitely helped. I think it accelerated my learning and there were times where it worked so well it almost felt like I had deja vu in some games. I found I visualised less as I got older but have still enjoyed some interesting successes. There are countless books which talk about the power of visualisation but whether you're reading about visualisation in personal development, metaphysics, law of attraction, magick, hypnosis or even religious literature I think there is one key element that is crucial to its effectiveness. 

Emotion. 

I believe visualisation without emotion is like a car without an engine, it won't get you very far. This excerpt from Mike Dooley's "Infinite Possibilities" explains this very well, it inspired me and I hope it inspires you too:


pg 12

Unfortunately for me, my first three months with Price Waterhouse (P.W) were a nightmare. I couldn't do anything right. Everything I touched seemed to unravel.
I was a walking disaster, and in that short time, I had accumulated five or six evaluations for each of the major corporate audits I had work on. The gist of each was the same: "Mike Dooley....must improve."

I don't think I can actually convey to you what an awful episode in my life that was. I was fraught with fear from morning to night that I would be fired from my first job in the real world - a job that had taken months of pounding the pavement to get and a job that I had made sure everyone I had ever known knew I had...

I remember coming home one day (I was still living with my mother at the time), walking into the living room, and telling Mom with absolute certainty that I was going to get fired. Now, by that time in my life I was already onto the idea of thoughts become things, yet it wasn't until I heard myself say, "Mom, I'm going to get fired...I know I'm going to get fired," that the proverbial light went on. Suddenly I realised the dire thoughts I'd been thinking virtually nonstop over the past few months - thoughts that were only making matters much worse. 

I immediately went into the living room couch, laid down, closed my eyes and began visualising. Now, this may sound too difficult, but when you're a bad auditor, just how do you imagine yourself behaving as a good auditor? After all, a bad auditor doesn't know what a good auditor does, or he wouldn't be a bad auditor!

Here's what I visualised, and it's what you can visualise whenever you don't know how to achieve an end result: I simply thought exclusively of the end result, not giving one moments' thought to the how I would get there. I didn't close my eyes and see myself performing audits I didn't know how to perform. Instead, I saw myself walking up and down the hallways of P.W beaming with joy, thrilled to be alive, and happy to be at work. I saw myself saying "Hi!" to all the partners and the staff, and in my my mind's eye I saw them actually saying "Hi" back to me (which at that time, wasn't happening). From that day on, as soon as I got home from work each day, I did my little visualisation exercise. 

Three weeks later the phone in the office staff area rang. Even though there were fifteen of us working as entry-level staffers, I knew the call was for me because I was the only one assigned to an audit team out in the field...And not only was the call for me but it was from the head of human resources. As sweat beaded on my forehead and my heart began pouding, he told me that the firm's tax department was shorthanded going into its busiest season of the year, and with some hesitation he added that the audit department "wouldn't mind" loaning me to the tax department. 

No, this wasn't good news! Like all new auditors, the tax department struck me as a terrifyingly complex place, a whole other world, but I had no choice. I was loaned to the tax department.

Yet in what seemed like no time at all, I was walking up and down the hallways of P.W just beaming with joy. It turned out that the tax department loved me, and I loved being in the tax department. My short-term loan became a permanent transfer, and from that day forward my career at P.W took off. 


Finally, no longer under the guillotine of fear that I would be fired from my first job in the "real" world, I was able to start thinking thoughts about thriving instead of just surviving. 

pg 23


Visualisation: Pictures (or Feelings) in Your Mind

1. Don't overdo it. Never visualise for more than five minutes because it's easy to get sidetracked or daydream if you go longer....When I visualised five minutes a day about turning my career around at P.W, that five minutes was up against all-day-long worrying and fretting about getting fired, yet it won out. The reason those five minutes prevailed despite the huge imbalance is because our natural inclination to succeed...

2. Be gentle with yourself. Go easy. Have patience. Don't get mad at yourself if you find your thoughts turning negative or if you find that you worry sometimes throughout the day....Even when I was visualising happily walking up and down the hallways of P.W, I would still catch myself worrying about getting fired. What did I do? What could I do? I just did what I could: I pressed on with my visualising and did my best - and it was enough. 

3. Feel the joy. If you want to really energise and super-charge your thoughts, add emotion to them. Not all thoughts are the same. True, they all strive to become things, but apart from that, thoughts have different intensity levels; emotion is what turns up the volume. Emotion is pure power, and when combined with visualising, it makes things happen a whole lot faster. Feel the emotions related to whatever it is you want. Feel the excitement, the joy, the pleasure, the victory, or whatever it is that will accompany your thoughts manifestation.

Audience members often ask me what they should do if they are unable to see images in their mind's eye. I tell them not to worry, as they're perhaps even at an advantage. I tell them to drop the images entirely in exchange for clarity on the feelings they wish to feel. The more you can feel the joy, the faster the physical details of your life will fall into place yielding your manifestation. 


4. Don't visualise more than once or twice a day. First of all, your life and happiness spring from the present, not the future, and by dwelling too much on your hopes for tomorrow, you could easily begin taking for granted all that you already have to be happy about. Secondly, if you dwell too much on your dreams coming true, you may become more and more aware, or conscious, of the difference between where you are today and where you want to go. 

Emotion is pure power, and when combined with visualisation, it makes things happen a whole lot faster. 

I'm going to give it a try and I'll report back after I've done my 5-a-day for 21 days consecutively. 

If anyone else is willing to do this, please comment below, in the box to the left or leave a message on the w0nd3r Facebook fan page. It'd be great to compare notes. 

"All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better."
Ralph Waldo Emerson





-Link to Mike Dooley's Infinite Possibilities on Amazon UK & US
-Mike Dooley's: "Notes from the Universe" (600,000 subscribers)

No comments:

Post a Comment