Monday, 25 May 2015

#155 - Breathing Part 4: Breathing by Dr Andrew Weil



In this excellent audio-book Dr Andrew Weil introduces 8 breathing techniques which he teaches to his patients to help them manage a wide range of health issues from stress and anxiety to a myriad of other conditions. 

Dr Weil practises integrative medicine combining elements of Eastern disciplines with Western medicine. Many of these breathing techniques come from yogic breathing or pranayama. At 1hr 45 mins it is a quick listen packed with exercises for you to practise while you listen. Some of these techniques are extremely simple such as simply observing the breath and there are other techniques such as the stimulating breath and the relaxing breath. 

Recently I have been using the stimulating breath (or bellows breath) and it is the quickest way to raise my energy I have ever come across - great first thing in the morning!
Thanks to boxing, public speaking and meditation I am becoming more aware of how breathing affects our mental and physical state. Breathing is the link between mind, body and spirit and considering the profound impact the quality of our breathing can have on our health and quality of life it is surprising that there is not more of a focus on it within healthcare.
"...and I wonder if Beethoven held his breath the first time his fingers touched the keysthe same way a soldier holds his breaththe first time his finger squeezes the triggerwe all have different reasons for forgetting to breathe." Andrea Gibson









1 comment: