Wednesday, 20 May 2015

#154 - Mindfulness: The 3 Poisons of the Mind

Mindfulness for Beginners by Jon Kabat-Zinn is proving to be a great listen. The audiobook is only 2h 26 mins long, the narration by Mr Kabat-Zinn is warm and engaging and I'm learning lots. 

One of the ideas which has stayed with me comes from Buddhism and is called 'The 3 Poisons of the Mind'. These 3 poisons are:

1) Greed
That ceaseless wanting which is never satisfied. As soon as we acquire the thing we want a new desire for something else springs up. 

2) Hatred
The judging, criticising, blaming, gossiping, complaining negative mind.

3) Delusion
The part of the mind that makes assumptions and creates stories about reality. 

Since discovering this idea I find I can quickly categorise my mind's shenanigans into one of these 3 boxes and this awareness seems to be the perfect antidote. 

Here are a few examples from my own experience:

1) Greed
-Craving that next book.

2) Hatred
-Focusing on my mistakes and flaws and being overly self-critical.

3) Delusion
-During one speech I delivered I assumed the blank faces of the audience meant they were not engaged and cut it short. When I received feedback however I was told that their blank expressions were due to the fact they were listening intently to what I was saying. 

I've also noticed that of the three there is one my mind tends to engage in more than the other two. My poison, if you will.  

Hatred, Greed and Delusion.

What is your poison?

No comments:

Post a Comment