Sunday, 1 June 2014

#18 - Dr Maya Angelou (28 Apr 1928 – 28 May 2014)

Greetings Beautiful People




“When a great elder dies, it is as if an entire library had been burnt down.”
African Proverb


I must admit I am still learning about Dr Maya Angelou. I know she was an author, a poet and a civil rights activist who has touched countless lives but I haven’t yet studied her work. A friend sent me the link below however and I was completely blown away by it.




“If a human being dares to be bigger than the condition into which she or he was born that means so can you. And so you can try to stretch, stretch, stretch yourself.

Try to live your life in a way that you will not regret years of useless virtue, and inertia and timidity. Pick up the battle, take it up. It’s yours, this is your life, your world. I’ll be leaving it long before you under the ordinary set of circumstances.....You make your own choices you can decide life isn’t worth living and that would be the worst thing you can do, how do you know so far? Try it. See. So pick up the battle, pick it up and make it a better world. Just where you are...yes, and it can be better, and it must be better, but it is up to us.”
Maya Angelou quote


After watching this video I watched a number of other videos including this one where she spent some time with Dave Chappelle:



I make it a point to find out what people who I find inspiring or exceptional read so when Dr Angelou mentioned Emilie Cady's Lessons In Truth as a book that changed her life I bought it. Needless to say it's a great book, simple and profound and I'd recommend it highly, it's only 103 pages and is very cheap on Kindle (£1.30/$2.21 USD).



I will continue to update this post with more detail as and when I’m a bit more educated on Maya Angelou poems, books etc but with the short story she told in the Love Liberates video she gave me a definition of love which has stayed with me ever since.
  
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

Dr Maya Angelou


 Dx

1 comment: