1) Quote
When you accept what is every moment is the best moment. That is enlightenment." Eckhart Tolle, Practising the Power of Now
2) The Path to Presence
I first came across Eckhart Tolle's book "The Power of Now" maybe 10 years ago. I was immediately struck by the incredible presence and clarity that emanated from the pages. I find that when I read I have a feel for the level of consciousness of the writer and in this case I didn't get the sense of someone's ego communicating with me at all, there was such a purity to it.
Usually there are parts of a book that resonate with me and others which don't but this was one of the few books where I could connect with every idea and every word. Simple yet profound, there was no complex jargon; describing the indescribable is no mean feat but I thought it was spot on.
A few years later I had an experience a bit like he described in the book when one day under extreme stress his ego broke and he became present. My experience of presence only lasted about 2-3 hours but the bliss of those few hours is beyond my ability to convey in words. I finally understood what is meant by the term "the peace that is beyond all understanding".
Jill Bolte, who I will do a post on soon speaks about a similar experience of presence. She is a biologist who was studying the brain (interestingly enough) when she experienced a stroke which shut down the left-side of her brain. As this is the part of the brain which analyses, compares and deals with logic, time, space, language and structure when it stopped working she was suddenly plunged into the most profound experience of peace and connection.
Eckhart doesn't write the kind of books you read once and give away. They are the kind of books that you grow with, re-read and realise how you've changed since the last reading.
For me they provide the simplest and most powerful explanation of the human condition, and how we go beyond the limited egoic mind.
If this material is of interest I'd recommend listening to the books (particularly if you're an auditory learner) as the presence he exudes while speaking really draws you into the now moment.
3) Eckhart Tolle on The Effects of Acceptance (7 mins)
"Unhappiness or suffering in any form means that there is resistance and resistance is always unconscious. Would you choose unhappiness?"
Eckhart Tolle, Practising the Power of Now
Have fun out there.
Dx

No comments:
Post a Comment