Thursday, 31 July 2014

#40 - Everything is Everything




"To know ten thousand things, know one well. It is difficult to understand these realities broadly through the use of words. The realities are mostly intuitive."
Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings


The Book of Five Rings (Stephen Kauffman translation) is probably my favourite book. I've always loved its profound simplicity and the razor sharp conviction with which the author cuts to the core. It's written by Japan's greatest ever swordsman, Miyamoto Musashi
, a masterless self-taught samurai who in addition to martial arts was also an expert in calligraphy, painting and carpentry. 

It is one of those books I go back to every year or two to see how much I have grown. It is the book that taught me how to make connections between different fields. I find most people look for differences and this often creates division and limitation. Whether race, religion or even fields which have no obvious connections I've always been more interested in finding commonalities and synergies.

Because of this book the feel for rhythm I gained through rapping later translated into being able to read a boxer's timing and alter my own; the still inner space held while practising Reiki became something I could access while giving a speech.

Thanks to this book if you give me A, B & C I'll be well on my way to Z.


Everything is everything. 


No comments:

Post a Comment