Thursday, 31 July 2014

#41 - The Big Leap Part 1 - How Are You ULPing?



The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks PhD is a great book. In it he outlines and provides solutions to the Upper Limit Problem, our tendency to self-sabotage whenever we exceed our self-image in a particular area, for example:

-relationships: arguing with a partner after a period of time where everything is going great
-work: screwing up after reaching a new level of success
-personal: not accepting praise, compliments or commendations


I started looking at my own life and found several areas where I was upper-limiting, where I was ULPing or have ULPed, (for some reason this seems to stay in your head) and came up with several:

-stopped blogging once I hit a certain level of success
-after delivering my first speech and being blown away by the feedback I didn't attend any meetings at my local club for months
-not waiting to accept applause after a speech
-not spending more time with people that challenge me
-feeling so happy and successful in certain areas of my life that I sabotaged others
-not eating/drinking/sleeping enough


As I became more and more aware of this pattern in all the different areas of my life it was pretty shocking. But if I consider the fact we all have a self-image and any growth threatens the integrity of this self-image I guess it is only logical that the subconscious will seek to find ways to bring us back into our comfort zones.


How are you ULPing? 


Follow the w0nd3r on Facebook



2 comments:

  1. Great post - food for thought! Can definitely relate to this. Will give the book a try now. Thankyou! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie, I'd be interested to hear what you think :)

      Delete