Friday, 1 August 2014

#42 - The Big Leap Part 2 - The USM




Once we become conscious of how we are ULPing the logical question is how do we stop stopping ourselves. Dr Hendrick's solutions to this is what he calls the Ultimate Success Mantra (USM), which is as follows:

"I expand in abundance, success and love every day, as I inspire those around me to do the same."

This is an affirmation he has developed and tested in his counselling work over a period of three decades. As a lover of words and language I've always been interested in affirmations but I find that if a suggestion isn't believable the subconscious mind will simply reject it.

I believe this one line is genius distilled for the following reasons: 

-it is believable so the subconscious can accept it
-it suggests gradual consistent change which doesn't trigger as much resistance
-it is cumulative in its effect and therefore becomes more powerful over time
-it is not just selfish, it is about mutual benefit (inspiring others releases oxytocin - see #24)
-it is harmonious: we may have the fear that our growth will seperate us from others
-it is in alignment with life itself as the universe expands

I could write a thesis on this sentence so let me just stop there. 


Dr H suggests using the USM in two ways:

1) As a formal meditation for 5-10 minutes. Repeat it to yourself allowing 10-15 seconds between each repetition. During this gap any mind reactions to the mantra will come up. 

2) During the day, just slipping it into your stream of thought when you remember it. 

I have been using it for a few weeks now and I have to say I've definitely noticed the impact it is having. I think the combination of this, and the realisation around self-esteem (#39) combined are really changing the game for me.

I hope you find this useful and if this resonates with you, maybe try it for a week or two and see if it works for you. 

I wish you continued consistent expansion.


Dr Gay Hendricks author of The Big Leap has been a major contributor to the fields of relationship transformation and mind-body therapies for more than thirty years. He holds a PhD in counselling psychology from Stanford University, taught for 21 years at Colorado University, founded the Hendricks Institute and is also the founder of a new virtual learning centre called Illumination University.

No comments:

Post a Comment