"...the idea of fulfilling work, that is a job that embodies your values, your talents your passions, that's a thoroughly modern invention. If you open Samuel Johnson's famous dictionary published in 1755 you'll find that the word fulfillment isn't even there. What's happened is that over the last few decades we've had a rising expectation for work which is more than just a salary. That's why today in the western world 60% of workers say they are unfulfilled by their jobs."
Roman Kznaric
After I wrote Follow Your Bliss Mr Bernie Murphy sent me this video of Roman Kznaric in the comment section:
I watched the video and bought Roman's book which gave me some interesting ideas. He suggests volunteering as a way of trying work in a new area and getting working experience by offering to work for free.
One of his most interesting stories was about a friend of his who spent a year trying multiple careers. I thought this was a brilliant idea as I think most people take a certain career path and get comfortable and/or stuck. I took the same approach over the past year experimenting with boxing coaching, personal training, hypnotherapy, teaching, blogging and motivational speaking. Most of this work was unpaid but it really helped me to see what I enjoy most and where to focus my efforts.
Recommended Reading
How to Find Fulfilling Work by Roman Kznaric
How to Get a Job You Love by John Lees
Useful Links
John Lees Associates (UK)
Lika Coaching (UK)

No comments:
Post a Comment