I was a little saddened to hear of his passing actually but more than anything I was surprised. I grew up watching Mork and Mindy, I love Dead Poet Society and Goodwill Hunting was pretty special. I was also impressed by how creepy he was in One Hour Photo. The fact he succesfully made the switch from his manic free-flowing style of stand-up to serious acting, and he could hold his own on screen with the likes of Pacino is no mean feat. The man had guts, and range.
I saw lots of people posting stuff about him on social media and commenting with words to the effect of: "It's so sad" or "I'm so sad". Here is the thing that struck me:
This is a man who had a massive impact on the world - he touched the lives of millions of people over several decades. A man who made people laugh, cry and think by doing what he loved. I now know he struggled with depression and addiction but to me that just makes his contribution even more inspiring; that in spite of all of those challenges he was still able to get it done. In terms of his mission I get the sense he did what he came here to do.
So while I empathise with his depression and his untimely passing why does that have to be the main focus of every news story and every post? That's like watching a movie and reducing it to the final 10-second-sad-ending-scene before the credits.
Why not celebrate what he did in his life, the joy that he spread, the incredible body of work that he left behind? Remember this guy:
I would wager that most of the people talking about how sad it is aren't going to leave any mark on the world. When they go there will be no pictures of them with their quotes being shared on Facebook. Charities will not be using their passing as a way to spread awareness and understanding. People will not be talking about the amazing philanthropic work they did or what a great neighbour they were.
"Who will cry when you die?"
Robin Sharma
This is because instead of being in the game most of us are at the game, paying for a ticket to watch. Living the life of a fan, living vicariously through the players who are actually living their dreams. Putting them on pedestals, tearing them down or discussing them with other people because our lives are that boring.
I am not exempt from this live-half-lived nonsense either. I'm still scratching the surface of who I am but I am pushing myself more and more to get out of my comfort zone and do things because each time I see a story like this it reminds me that life is fragile and tomorrow is not promised.
Yes it's sad that Robin Williams took his own life, but I think it's even sadder that there are so many dead people walking.
"Oh Captain my Captain..."
Dead Poets Society
We salute you Mr Williams :)
"Most people die at 25 but don't get buried until they are 85." Les Brown



No comments:
Post a Comment