I recently had a last-minute break in Lanzarote with my Lady. I decided to take my friend Karen's advice, to leave my laptop at home and just enjoy nature.
Initially I was a little uncomfortable with the idea but in the end there were numerous benefits:
-days passed much slower
-I read more
-I wrote more
-I exercised more
-quality time with my girlfriend
Actually it was an incredible week largely because I was more present to actually enjoy what was happening without distraction. Also, the world managed fine without me, no-one died and I didn't miss anything.
I do notice this sort of behaviour more and more often these days...
...but I failed to realise I'd been doing exactly the same thing. I'd grown so addicted to it I was unaware of the fact I wasn't using technology, it was using me.
I promised myself that it would be different when I got home. No replying to text messages while talking to people or surfing the net aimlessly and finding myself crawling through the bowels of some deranged comment section shaking my head at the bigotry and ignorance. Two weeks later, between writing blogging and social media I find myself writing this post, perhaps as a reminder to myself first and foremost.
Brian Tracy advises having one day per week where you unplug ie you don't check your email or social media and the only electronic communication you have with people is answering phone-calls.
I'm going to give that a try this week, because although I fear we may be headed towards this:
...I for one am definitely in no rush.
How often do you unplug?




No comments:
Post a Comment