Sunday, 3 August 2014

#44 - Thought Police - The Way I AM



According to the National Science Foundation we have around 50 000 thoughts per day. By that measure if a person is awake for 16 hours they will have roughly 3000 thoughts per hour, 50 thoughts per minute or...just under 1 thought per second. 


No wonder it's so easy to change :)

Needless to say the majority of these thoughts are repeated thoughts which we are not even conscious of based on our existing beliefs...I'm wondering how many thoughts you had in the time it took to read these 4 sentences.

I like the idea of being as present as Eckhart Tolle but right now it is useful to have some tools for managing the incessant chatter of the "monkey mind".

The following technique is from Dr Robert Anthony's Beyond Positive Thinking and I've found it very helpful for modifying our "self-talk" which essentially creates our feelings, beliefs, actions and our self-image.   

1. Notice unsupportive thought
2. Dissociate from it with: "That's not" + "the way I am" / "the way I think" / "me."
3. Recondition with a positive alternative: "I am... __________" 


No comments:

Post a Comment