"Revenge is a dish best served cold..." Old Sicilian Mafia saying
"The best revenge is massive success..." Frank Sinatra
Many of us will have heard these two sayings, however having recently read Geoff Thompson's first piece for the Huffington Post, I have come to the conclusion that forgiveness is the best revenge. As he explains it is the only course of action that can actually free us. It is a response that comes from choice rather than reaction.
Geoff's latest play Fragile showed at the 2014 Edinburgh Festival and is an autobiographical narrative of the sexual abuse he suffered as a child and his journey towards forgiving his abuser. One reviewer said it was the only play they'd attended where the theatre had deemed it necessary to station Samaritans at the door.
I was fortunate enough to meet Geoff a few years ago and I honestly don't have the words to express the respect I have for this man. In demonstrating such courage and transforming pain into art he continues to inspire and create a space for many others to heal.
I can't recommend his work highly enough. Here is a link to Geoff's Huffington Post piece:
I forgave a paedophile
Geoff's website
Geoff's podcast
Geoff's videos
And here is a link to the Jean Grae's music video for Taco Day...a powerful piece of work, it is not for the faint of heart:

No comments:
Post a Comment