"The only real valuable thing is intuition." Albert Einstein
It's 7am and I'm half-asleep, I'm floating in that delicious state between asleep and awake. My girlfriend is anxious about a delicate situation she has to deal with today and wants my advice. It's an important question and normally I'd give her my opinion but I know she has a strong sense of intuition and I want her to trust it. An intuition exercise I read in a book last night flashes into my head and I decide to give it a try from memory:
"Close your eyes." I say, and ask her to take a few deep breaths.
Once she has relaxed I continue:
"Put your hand on your stomach and then move it until it is above the spot where you feel your intuition...the place where you get gut feelings...it will be somewhere between your solar plexus and your stomach..."
I pause for a few moments until her hand has stopped moving.
"Have you got it?" I ask.
She smiles and nods her head slowly.
"OK, so imagine there is a wise person there...you might have an image...it could be someone you know, but just see what comes up..."
Another smile.
"OK, that part is part of you...the wise part of you, and you can communicate with that part by mentally talking to it, making requests or asking questions, ok?"
She nods again.
"OK, so when you're ready...ask your question."
A few minutes later armed with clear inner guidance she is a completely different person. Her energy has lifted and there is an ease and confidence about her which is the complete opposite to the anxiety she was experiencing 10 minutes ago. The situation at work worked out well too but more important than that, I think, was her making that connection with her intuition and the sense that the decision was the right one for her.
The author of Living in the Light, Shakti Gawain says that one of the signs you are following your intuition is that it leads to feelings of greater aliveness, power and more opportunities, but emphasises that it does take practise.
"Close your eyes." I say, and ask her to take a few deep breaths.
Once she has relaxed I continue:
"Put your hand on your stomach and then move it until it is above the spot where you feel your intuition...the place where you get gut feelings...it will be somewhere between your solar plexus and your stomach..."
I pause for a few moments until her hand has stopped moving.
"Have you got it?" I ask.
She smiles and nods her head slowly.
"OK, so imagine there is a wise person there...you might have an image...it could be someone you know, but just see what comes up..."
Another smile.
"OK, that part is part of you...the wise part of you, and you can communicate with that part by mentally talking to it, making requests or asking questions, ok?"
She nods again.
"OK, so when you're ready...ask your question."
A few minutes later armed with clear inner guidance she is a completely different person. Her energy has lifted and there is an ease and confidence about her which is the complete opposite to the anxiety she was experiencing 10 minutes ago. The situation at work worked out well too but more important than that, I think, was her making that connection with her intuition and the sense that the decision was the right one for her.
The author of Living in the Light, Shakti Gawain says that one of the signs you are following your intuition is that it leads to feelings of greater aliveness, power and more opportunities, but emphasises that it does take practise.
Thanks to Wendy for giving me this book - your timing couldn't have been better :)
No comments:
Post a Comment