William Blake
I gave a speech yesterday which I opened with the above quotation - I then spoke about the yin/yang sign:
I then touched on the idea that one of the ideas behind this symbol is that anything which becomes too yin or yang automatically becomes its opposite and illustrated this principle with a surreal story from an excessive weekend of partying many years ago.
I'm not sure why things often have to go to an extreme before we commit to changing but it seems that rather than learn from the mistakes of others most of us prefer to learn from our own. Maybe it's the fact that while we can understand something intellectually it's the emotional learning that really sticks.
Perhaps it's not so much that change takes a long time as it sometimes takes a long time to get to the point where we're ready to change. At that point change happens in an instant.
On the bright side I would argue that where difficult times are concerned the worse things are the more likely we are to take positive action, when they're just relatively annoying we're more likely to suffer them indefinitely.

No comments:
Post a Comment