Tuesday, 16 September 2014

#89 - Book Review of Jan Phillips' The Art of Original Thinking by Paul Jones [+ FREE BOOK]


Paul was so excited about this book I challenged him to write a review of it. He agreed, but when a few gentle nudges failed to get said review to materialize I had to bring out the big guns - it turns out that a simple question plus Training Day Denzel looking at you sideways is a powerful combination...


"Where's that book review my brother?"


Book Review of Jan Phillips' The Art of Original Thinking by Paul Jones

What's good people? It's my bosses' favourite pain in the ass passing through again!  I've never written a book review before.

When D asked me to write one for The Art of Original Thinking by Jan Phillips I was very hesitant. When I say hesitant, I mean I flat out said no!
But I thought about it and figured I'd give it go.  Ironic really as this book is what essentially gave me the perfect reason to do it!
If you're reading this blog then maybe you already believe that there's something happening right now... Some call it a shift.  Some call it transcendence. Some think we're just waking up. 
This book has inside its pages some real world examples of this new consciousness. From small  community start-up groups to billion dollar businesses who are actually affecting positive change in the world. 
Jan examines successful practices that are creating a better future for all those involved. On a global scale. 'The Triple Bottom Line' principe of People, Profit, Planet is the foundation that these new CEO's, managers, grass roots organisers and regular joes are building on. It's a beautiful ideal and makes me admire the individuals brave enough to try things differently. 
Jan refers to them as 'Thought Leaders':
--------
"Thought leaders inspire leadership. They ignite imaginations, explode old myths, and illumine paths to the future that others may follow. One of the oldest voices embedded in our cultural consciousness is the voice that says, “If s/he can, I can.” Our confidence is buoyed by the fact that someone else did it before us. No matter how dangerous or outrageous or innovative, if someone did it, we know it’s possible, and that endeavor becomes a challenge, then, for others to meet or surpass. By going first, thought leaders provide the basis for change." 
--------

Along with factual dates, places and information, 'The Making of a Thought Leader' is more than just a nod in the spiritual direction. It's more like a mental head butt! Some of the stories shared, the ideas that grew into some people's way of life, are the bare minimum inspiring. The book is also littered throughout with some wonderfully poignant quotes. There's also an underlying truth which runs through the text. Jan continually refers to 'our stories' throughout the book. How we emotionally connect to things we're told in tales. These stories are alive. Not only can they be preserved and passed on, but hey can then go on to change a generation's supposed destiny. 

Whatever it is that brought you this blog, one thing I know is that we all want, no, need to know that there are more people that think like you out there. This book, along with all the entries in The W0nd3r; all the goodness we find in our real, cyber and spiritual realms compels us to share it. The Art of Original Thinking is the perfect expression of this, I hope you find it useful and that you share it with others. 

Peace
PJ

No comments:

Post a Comment