A good friend of mine shared this video of Emma Watson's speech at the United Nations with me via Facebook a few days ago:
I love how listening to her breathing you can hear how much adrenaline is going through her but she still delivers a powerful message. This speech reminded me how easy it is to ignore prejudice when it doesn't affect you. A female friend once told me that men don't see sexism because it is not in their interest to see it, because they actually benefit from it. She compared it to racism and white privilege and that comparison really hit home.
Sometimes think about how virtually all the quotations I use and books I reference come from men and I intend to make this blog more balanced. And then I forget. A little while back I had a few female friends write guest pieces and that's something I am going to follow-up on.
I had the idea of doing a post which was dedicated to women, but actually I could see how condescending that might seem. While I like the idea of celebrating women with a post, it wouldn't be necessary for me to do so if they were already represented fairly and consistently would it? A bit like Black History month methinks...Henceforth I will be making an effort to quote, reference and read more women.
Much of our problems today come from too much yang and not enough yin, too much knowledge and not enough wisdom, too much doing and not enough being, too much technology and not enough nature.
As Emma says this imbalance hurts everyone.
"Know the masculine, but keep to the feminine."
Tao Te Ching
"Know the masculine, but keep to the feminine."
Tao Te Ching
Peace
D.
D.
No comments:
Post a Comment