Howdy Folks It's my girlfriend's better half once again with some more random musings! I'm getting the jump on my ethereal brother coz he plays dirty... No more photos of Denzel looking at me sideways please...! (# 89) I wanted to share a couple of things I had the good fortune to experience recently. One is a wonderful show called Stomp and the other is my new favourite film Chef. I'm guessing it's no coincidence that I saw both within a week. They were inspiring, original and brilliant!
Stomp - Whoever had the idea of creating an entire show around dancing, everyday items and rhythm deserves everything he or she got from this show ( I hope it's loads!). Choreographed excellently. Performed with real love and dedication. A superb use of mime meets slapstick comedy. Simple facial gestures and shoulder shrugs have all us of in hysterics! Some really classic nods to silent movie makers too. My son looked at me about 15 minutes in and asked me why they weren't talking. By the end he heard them clearly!It really was a great show. What also struck me was the subtle social commentary running through. The rugged, unkept look of the performers. The industrial backdrop to the set. Rustic and worn makeshift instruments fit seamlessly between the crowded newspaper scene. The trash based pass the parcel bit hinted to a sadder circumstance.... The idea of this group finding whatever they can in dire environments and just blowing your mind; like the syncopated precision of broomsticks, the juggling paint cans to beat, suspended, yes, suspended percussion! A thigh slapping, finger snapping, hand clapping symphony that they encouraged us to participate in! Played to pantomime perfection too, I was truly blown away.
Chef is also special. Very! I gotta admit from the get go that I'm a little biased with this one. I am a Favreau fan, but this film is Awesome! It's like he was at home, with a stogie of course, and he decided "I've made enough of this Ironman money.., I'm going to write and direct a film that has everything I Love in it!" Luckily for me, and I hope for the rest of you, you love these things too! From cooking to relationships (old an new) family, road trips, culture, social networks, shopping, work, he just crams it all in there! He's managed to tell this great story about growth and love to a banging soundtrack! From his relationship with his son, colleagues, exes and currents, you see this character lose and find himself. He puts it all in there. The pacing of the ensemble, no one thing dragging on too long. A real quality piece of movie making for grown folk. Did I mention the soundtrack is also Banging!! The reason why I wanted to tell you about these two events is that the two had one specific thing in common; A genuine, original voice. Most of what I like in any field of artistic expression is something different. I appreciate the new like everyone else, but I really enjoy something fresh being done in a traditional way. Two pieces that took what we see everyday and for about 2 hours, show you a completely different way of looking at it, and life...! There's real passion behind these two 'reflections'. I really recommend you see them both, and make sure you're with someone you love.
There's a beautiful scene where, while by the food truck, Carl is talking to his son and in the speech, he says something like "...I'm good at this. I touch people with what I do... And I think you can be good at it too...' I think I'll just leave it there...!
Have you asked your girlfriend her thoughts on being her better half? I too was lucky enough to share both experiences stomp for me was special it was my birthday and was an expected gift! I had heard about the show from friends but wasn't sure about how it would be strung together without words. My son just like his dad, is a lover of music so watching him watching them did concern me of what he would start doing when we reached back home, they used things you would find in any household. Yes even the kitchen sink! Chef great movie! Everything you said... Unlike my partner I'm not a movie buff nor do I like writing blogs but when I saw your post I thought I must reply to let you know I loved every moment shared too. Your sons beautiful mother. Xx
Have you asked your girlfriend her thoughts on being her better half? I too was lucky enough to share both experiences stomp for me was special it was my birthday and was an expected gift! I had heard about the show from friends but wasn't sure about how it would be strung together without words. My son just like his dad, is a lover of music so watching him watching them did concern me of what he would start doing when we reached back home, they used things you would find in any household. Yes even the kitchen sink!
ReplyDeleteChef great movie! Everything you said... Unlike my partner I'm not a movie buff nor do I like writing blogs but when I saw your post I thought I must reply to let you know I loved every moment shared too. Your sons beautiful mother. Xx