I love reading. In fact, now that audiobooks and Kindle allow me to carry two small libraries with me I finish 2-3 books each week. Reading like this however, holds the inherent risk of acquiring a superficial knowledge of many things, being a 'jack of all trades and master of none'.
I once a heard a story about how Manly P Hall, having being granted admittance to the special library under the British Museum, realised he could never read all those arcane texts in one lifetime and fell to his knees weeping. I feel a bit like that dude :) there's no possible way I can even scratch the surface of all the things I want to learn and I'm slowly beginning to accept this. Recently a friend of mine told me I'm a guide and that really resonated with me - sometimes I can see a pathway for someone or connect them with information or someone else that will help them on their journey. I think perhaps I studied many seemingly disparate fields so that I could build a map, a broad knowledge if you will.
At the same time I recognise the need to have a deep knowledge in the areas where I specialise. Therefore as I said in the previous post I am now revisiting many of my books, starting again and enjoying a deeper understanding of them this time.
What is your area of expertise? What do you have a deep knowledge of? Or what would you enjoy studying deeply? It might not require reading lots of books, but I'm sure you know what it does take.
Most people are dabblers but right now the world is crying out for experts...
Why not you?
"There's never enough time to do everything. There's always enough time to do the right thing."
Larry Winget
No comments:
Post a Comment