#112 - Starting Again
The early stages of learning or changing something can be awkward and painful but something I find equally challenging is starting again. It takes humility and persistence to keep starting over. For example I remember the painful early stages of learning to skip: hitting myself with a vinyl rope whipping round at high speed, stinging my shoulders, the back of my head, my shins, my feet getting tangled in the rope. But that determination, that bloody-mindedness to just keep starting again especially when your muscles are sore and your mind is too tired to concentrate became a transferrable skill. And I got pretty good at skipping in the end too.
I haven't boxed regularly for a few months now and I'm getting the itch to go back to training. I know my timing will be a little off, I know training will hurt and sparring will be frustrating because I won't have the stamina to do more than a few good rounds. I hate the idea of going backwards but the idea of letting this skill fade into nothing is unacceptable.
I'll humble myself and try to approach it with beginner's mind, see if I can pick up anything new this time around. I'm doing the same things with some of the better books I've read and really enjoying them.
Which leads me to the next post: #113 - Deep Knowledge vs Broad Knowledge
No comments:
Post a Comment