Monday, 20 October 2014

#122 - Coaching Academy - Free Certificate Training


DISCLAIMER: This is a review of The Coaching Academy's Free Two-Day Training. The author has not attended any of their full-length courses and would therefore advise those interested in obtaining a professional coaching qualification to do their own research as this decision could involve a significant investment of time and money. 

I spent this weekend at a free training from the Coaching Academy. A fellow member of my Toastmasters club recommended it so I thought I'd check it out. It was a fantastic experience. Another friend of mine explained that it was an elaborate sales pitch but I was actually amazed at how much value I gained from the weekend and personally I didn't feel like they leaned on the sales element that much.

Coaching as I understand it is the process of helping someone clarify a goal and get their quicker than they would by themselves using their resources. 


It taught me so much about communication. When we speak to people it is so easy to give advice or suggestions or attempt to relate what they are saying to our own experiences. But as soon as we inject our 'story' we dilute what they are saying. Coaching shows you how to be a clear mirror so that the person can really see themselves and then access their own answers. The biggest lesson I got from the weekend is how much unsolicited advice I have given up until this point - for those of you who know me I promise I will work on that.

I love how coaching empowers a person instead of directing them, making them, talking down to them or making them dependent. I have always been fascinated by personal development, always believed that we have incredible potential within us so this weekend was like the best kind of confirmation. Cooler still you can apply the tools to yourself too. 


Clear, efficient, goal-focused, I think EVERYONE could benefit from having a coach. 

Halfway through the first morning I started thinking about how I could use the tools in my relationship, my friendships and now I think it will be part of my work. These are skills that I think could benefit anyone interested in personal development or being a more effective communicator. Managers, teachers, trainers, parents and therapists (to name a few) could all really benefit. 

Free Two-Day certificate trainings run throughout the year, check their website for more details. 

Thanks to the Coaching Academy for an awesome weekend. 

Click here for Coaching Academy website
Click here for Harvard Business Review Article - You Can't Be a Great Manager If You're Not a Good Coach



No comments:

Post a Comment